Traction Distribution branch of Bengaluru Division was formed on March 11,1991 when the Division was a part of Southern Railway. The first AC locomotive hauled train was run between Jolarpetai Jn and KSR Bengalur stations on May 16,1992.
In 2003,Bangaluru Division become a part of the newly formed South Western Railway zone and this give a thrust to the electrification of other sections as in the following chronological list.
- Jolarpettai Jn-KSR Bengaluru : May 1992
- Chennasandra-Yelahanka : January 2009
- Yesvantpur-Baiyappanahalli : July 2009
- Bangarapet- Marikuppam : March 2012
- Yesvantpur- Yelahanka : March 2012
- Yelahanka-Dharmavaram : July 2016
- Bangalore- Mysore : December 2017
- At present 566 Route Kilomiters consisting of 1014 Track Kilometers is electrified.
- The Electrification of Biayappanahalli- Omalur is electrified till 35 KM upto Anekal Road Railway Station.
- The Electrification of Chikkabanawar-Tumkuru foundation work is in progress.
- The Electrification of Bangarapet-Kolar-Yelahanka and Chikkabanawar-Hasan sections tendering work in progress.