CARRIAGE REPAIR WORKSHOP HUBBALLI
Established in 1885 under Southern Maratha Railways the Loco, Carriage and Wagon workshop, Hubli carried out maintenance and repairs to Meter gauge locomotives, coaches and wagons.In 1919, Madras & Southern Mahratta Railway (MSMR) was formed and the workshop was brought under the jurisdiction of MSMR. The workshop continued with periodic overhauling activities of MG rolling stock.
After independence, on reorganization of the Railways, Hubli Workshop was brought under the control of Southern Railway during 1951 and in the year 1966, Hubli Workshop was taken-over by South Central Railway .The POH of passenger class YP 4-6-2 and goods class YG 2-8-2 configuration steam locomotives and YD 2-8-2 dual class steam locomotives used on steep gradients were carried out by Erecting Shop and Boiler shop. A full fledged saw mill was functioning under Carriage shop comprising various woodworking machines such as log band saw, vertical band saw, planning, drilling and boring minspection carriages, narrow gauge coaches and horse vans during this period.MG wagons having riveted construction were repaired in wagon shop. The workshop also manufactured wooden body in 1987, the workshop commenced manufacture of fabricated UIC bogies for BOX wagons and was later discontinued in 1995 due to phasing out of BOX wagons on Indian Railways and were replaced by technologically superior higher capacity BOXN wagons. In 1990 the workshop commenced manufacture of fabricated bogies for ICF type coaches. The workshop is now the part of South Western Railway (SWR) which was formed on 1st April 2003. The Hubli workshop is serving the nation for 125+ years.