South Western Railway operates Diesel locomotives, coaches and wagons on broad gauge. These assets are being maintained in good fettle by the Mechanical Branch to provide safe and reliable transportation of Passengers and Goods.
Following are the major activities of Mechanical Department.
Periodical Over Hauling (POH), Intermediate Over Hauling (IOH) of Coaches, Rehabilitation of coaches, Manufacture of BVZI wagons and Manufacture of various types of Bogies required by Production Units in the workshops.
Primary Maintenance of Passenger rakes, Goods rakes and other specified departmental Trains in the divisions.
Scheduled maintenance of Diesel Locomotives in Diesel Sheds.
In order to maintain locomotives, coaches and wagons, South Western Railway has
· Carriage Workshop, Hubli.
· Central Workshops, Mysore.
Two Diesel Locomotive Sheds:
· Diesel Locomotive Shed, Hubli, Hubli Division, homing 172 locomotives as on 01.04.2011.
· Diesel Locomotive Shed, Krishnarajapuram, Bangalore Division, homing 138 locomotives as on 01.04.2011.
· 3 rakes (8 coaches each) of Diesel Electric Multiple Units (DEMU) - Bangalore Division.
6 BG Coaching Maintenance Depots at:
Vasco – de – Gama
5 Wagon maintenance depots at:
Hubli, Hubli Division
Hospet, Hubli Division*
Satellite Goods Terminal, Whitefield, Bangalore Division
Harihar, Mysore Division
Mysore New Goods Terminal, Mysore Division.
*The Wagon depot at Hospet carries out ROH of about 200 BOXN wagons per month