The Railway Workshop at Mysore was established as a Base Workshop of the erstwhile Mysore State Railway in 1924. Consequent to the transfer of few sections like Bangalore – Harihar and Yeshvanthapur –Hindupur to the State Railways, the workshop was expanded to the present form in 1938 with the task of maintaining the MG Rolling stock in the then undivided Mysore and Guntakal Divisions. With the formation of integrated Southern Railway in 1951this workshop became part of Southern Railway.
Progressive dieselization of the MG sections coupled with the policy of uni-gauge contributed to the steady decline of MG load arising. The legacy of “Skill and dedication” of the Mysore workshops was not destined to be abruptly reduced to redundancy. This Workshop was converted to BG coach POH shops during the year 1993 and started POH of BG coaches from August 1994 on wards.
This work shop became the part of South Western Railway from 01.04.2003 onwards mainly dealing with the POH/IOH of BG coaches.
Present activities of the workshop (including RSP work)
·Periodic Overhauling of all types of BG Coaches.
·Refurbishment of coaches.
·Intermediate Overhauling (IOH) of Bogies.
·Manufacturing of Toy Train.
·Manufacturing of Composite Brake Blocks.
Conversion of ART / ARME / Camping / NMG coaches.