All over the world Railway transportation is increasingly used, as this mode of transport is more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than road transportation. Since the load carried by the trains and the speed which the trains can attain are high, they need more braking distance before coming to the stop from full speed. Without signal to be available on the route to constantly guide the driver, accidents will take place due to collisions.
There are basically two purposes achieved by railway signalling.-
1. To safely receive and despatch trains at a station.- Different electrical means like Track circuits, lever locks, relays, Axle counters, Dataloggers, Panels, Contactors, different kinds of batteries, chargers, generators, Block instruments, solid state interlocking devices etc are integrated in a manner that ensure safety.
2. To control the movements of trains from one station to another after ensuring that the track on which this train will move to reach the next station is free from movement of another train either in the same or opposite direction. This Control is called block working. Preventing the movement from opposite direction is necessary in single line track as movements in both directions will be on the same track.
TYPES OF SIGNALING
Signalling can be of any one/combination of the following types
- Mechanical signalling
- Electro-mechanical signalling
- Panel Interlocking
- Route Relay Interlocking
- Electronic Interlocking
- Centralized operations& Signals by SM Control
DIFFERENT NAMES GIVEN TO SIGNALS
- Starter signal (Dispatch signals)
- Home signals (Reception signals)
- Distant Signal (Permissive signal)
BRIEF PARTICULARS OF SIGNALLING ASSETS IN BANGALORE DIVISION
Number Of Stations
Number of Standard I Interlocked stations
Number of Standard II Interlocked stations
Number of Standard III Interlocked stations
Number of Rudimentary Interlocked stations
Number of RRI Stations
Number of Panel Interlocked stations
Number of Electro-Mechanical stations Centralised operation with SM’s Control
Number of Electronic Inter Locking stations
Number of Mid section Interlocked LCs
Number of Traffic inter locked LC gates
Number of Mid sectionLCs provided with Magneto Phones
Number of Aspects provided with Triple Pole Lamps
Number of Battery charger voltage Monitors provided at stations
Number of stations provided with Calling-On Signals
Number of stations provided with Integrated Power Supply
Number of Tokenless/Token Block instruments
b)S/L Tokenless PTJ make
c)D/L Tokenless SGE Type
d)Token - Neale's Ball Type
e)Token- Neale's Tablet Type
Number of signals provided with Solar Panels for lighting
Number of LED aspects provided for signals
Number of Interlocked Points
a. Electrical Point Machines (IRS Type)
b. Rod working
c. HP Lock
Number of Track Circuits
Number of Signalling Units
Number of sections BPAC provided
Number sections IBS provided.
Number stations Second distant signals
Number of stations Data loggers provided
Number of stations Generators provided as stand by Power supply
Apart from the regular maintenance work, the division has taken up various innovative works for implementation of advance technologies like-
- Networking of Dataloggers for not only enabling preventive maintenance by study of performance parameters but also for online tracking of train movements on over division..
- Provision of communication from mid section/accident site to the Division HQs using only one pair of copper conductor from the existing Emergency socket network during emergencies.
- Provision of Real time monitoring of Relief and Rescue operations from accident site and rendering prompt assistance.
- Provision of ON line Train Running Information Display system, coach guidance systems, Train arrival/Departure Display system for the benefit of the travelling public.
- Provision of Voice Logger between controller and station masters.