The Railway Workshop at Mysore was established in 1938 with the task of maintaining the MG Rolling stock in the then undivided Mysore and Guntakal Divisions.With the formation of integrated Southern Railway in 1951,this workshop became part of Southern Railway.
Since then, the activities have steadily increased like POH of MG Steam Locomotives, Coaches and wagons. The Peak POH work load was of the order of 8.0 Steam Locomotives, 62.5 units of MG coaches and 257 MG wagons units per month. The peak staff strength of this workshop was in the order of 2800 during the peak out turn period.
Progressive dieselisation of the MG sections coupled with the policy of uni-gauge contributed to the steady decline of MG load arising. The legacy of “Skill and dedication” of the Mysore workshops was not destined to be abruptly reduced to redundancy.A proposal for converting this shop into BG was sanctioned in the year 1992-93 at a cost of Rs.721.12 lakhs. BG coach POH was started in this workshop from August 1994onwards.
Now to add a feather on the cap, this workshop has been nominated for carrying out SS-1, SS-2 and SS-3 Schedules for the LHB coaches, which were started from Nov-2012 onwards.MYSS is now equipped to undertake POH of 60 Non AC & 10 AC BG coaches with capacities to feed the requisite spares not only to the workshop but also to Mysore and Bangalore Divisions.
The project of augmentation of POH facilities in order to enhance the out turn of coaches including LHB coaches from 70 to 80 per month at a total cost of Rs 39.22 crores, sanctioned by Railway Board, is under progress.